Skip to main content

Finding Inspiration


Well the school holidays are over and the routine can return, for the children at least. We have loved the holidays with polocrosse at centre stage. We arrived in Sydney yesterday with a very muddy car, ready for the
boarding school parent teacher interviews. Our second daughter is currently choosing HSC subjects so it is a time of excitement and decision-making.  

I look out at the Sydney Harbour and it looks still and quiet this morning. The city is wet from the overnight rain. I can see people walking to the train station from the window of my room. They carry their coffees and step out at a fast pace, with scarves around their necks and warm jackets on. It must be pretty cold out there today.

It is wet at home too and Howard sounds pleased on the phone. He managed well to get the girls on the bus for their first day of the school term, the only drama being a missing pair of school shoes . They turned up 5 minutes before they had to leave.Howard


Some of the paddocks on the farm are filling with new little lambs. We went out last week and fed the ewes, as their bleating babies scurried along behind them. I enjoyed taking photos of the twins and triplets with the crops coming up from the muddy soil in the background. The season has certainly been kind to us so far. 

There is a sense of inspiration and happiness in the country at the moment and I feel truly grateful for the beautiful rainfall, it makes all the difference. It’s a wonderful thing to feel inspired. The sailing boats on the harbor inspire me. The business owner who woke at 5am to set up his fruit stall inspires me. The waitress who smiles as she places the coffee on the breakfast table inspires me. And the friend who I met last night after the school meetings who suggested we go for a walk last night before our dinner inspires me.

When we feel inspired we feel happier, more motivated, more focused on what we can do to improve our days. As my friend and I walked along the most well lit streets we discussed how invigorating it felt to be in the ocean mist as it drifted across Bondi. Eventually we found a lovely restaurant and enjoyed a wonderful meal together, catching up on how our children are going and talking about all sorts of things. It was lots of fun.

Well its time to check out and head home…back on the highway again.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt