Skip to main content

Winter is really getting serious about itself now!!





Winter is really getting serious about itself now as the 2 degree morning wraps itself around the house. The fog has left everything dripping wet and it looks like time is standing still out there. Galahs echo their song from a distance but I can’t see them. The sun didn’t rise with its usual display and is now a background glow.

Yes I am trying to be poetic and not complain about the temperatures dropping but its …. cold!! Howard has returned to the house with icy hands, ready for a cuppa. I think about the homeless people who have to sleep outdoors and the people who find winter effects their health. If winter has you feeling a bit flat, here are some tips I hope you enjoy..

How to feel better during winter…

If you are not feeling so great then the best place to start can be in the present moment. We can usually manage what is happening right in front of us. It can be the thoughts about the future or the past that can be hard to deal with. Really taste your food, hear the sounds, see the detail and breathe, notice the flow of your beautiful breath. Notice your body and relax a little. Have a stretch. Notice your hands, your feet, your spine…lift the posture a little. Smile.

Ah there we are, in the moment….

Next comes gratitude and if practiced well it can really lift the spirits. Don’t just think about what you have to be thankful for, feel how good it is to have these things in your life. Feel it….Heating, a hot shower, a big hug, warm food, a comfy bed, your body with all its intricate functions, the deep and mysterious sky, the 1000’s of birds, tall trees, tiny flowers…being loved. Focus on one area and really give thanks.

Gratitude maintains the good feelings we have. Gratitude inspires optimism and hope. Gratitude aligns with contentment. When I am in a state of gratitude I feel like I am being a good person who is able to give from a place of fullness. It makes me want to give back and help others because my life is so abundant.  let me share a little secret, I think the gratitude multiplies our blessings. Also the happiness I feel when I am giving is like nothing else. Happiness is an action. You give happiness. You don’t wait for someone to place it in your lap. You have to make it a good day for those around you and yourself. It sort of works back to front in a way.

If you are feeling a bit flat or low in energy and you feel like you have heard it all before then get back to basics and ensure you are meeting all your basic needs. Are you getting enough sleep? (Try a Deep Relaxation) Are you eating nutritionally rich foods? Are you hydrated? Are you getting some exercise? What inspires you? Who inspires you? I say to women, ’No one is going to notice if you skip your breakfast, you just have to take responsibility for yourself.’  Seek the professional information you need and take action so that Winter 2013 has lots of wonderful memories. Be great!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt