Skip to main content

Consistent effort creates change. It's empowering!





I have decided that ‘consistency’ is my 2014 intention. It is easy to make New Years Resolutions and set goals, that is the fun part. Dreaming, planning, hoping and building high expectations is exciting but then you have to turn up and make it happen. So I have decided its all about consistency.

There is a resistance to change that can really hold us back. New habits take a lot of self-control and energy to establish at first. We can talk ourselves out of just about anything, as excuses are readily available. The trick is to move beyond the ‘I don’t want to today,’ to ‘I may not want to but I’m going to do it anyway.’ This applies to things like eating well, exercising more regularly, responding in new ways to difficult relationships and even to meditation.

I’d like to meditate every morning but when I wake early its easy to curl up and talk myself into a bit more sleep. This morning the word ‘consistency’ came to mind and I went into a spare room in the house, lit a candle, stretched by body for a while and moved into stillness. The red sun rose and filled the room with warm light, so when I opened my eyes I felt calm, steady and inspired, ready to enjoy Saturday with the family.

If you want to start a new habit or get any negative thinking out of the way, have a look at the book, ‘Change your thinking,’ by Sarah Edelman Phd. I am also inspired by the consistency of the people I see at the gym regularly, the business owners and employees in town opening their shops every day, the parents pushing prams, the sports men and women. Consistant effort is all around. Fitness, success and happiness isn't falling on peoples laps,  they do what it takes to live a great life and they don't choose the easy road. I admire that..

My photo today is a shot of last nights stunning sunset. We were watching the tennis and behind the television are big windows looking out to the garden, which started reflecting the orange light of the sun. This is a clear indication of a special sunset so I grabbed my camera and headed down the driveway. A powerful ball of orange, dominated the horizon and dropped very quickly behind the silhouettes of the gum trees. It took my breath away.

    





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt