Skip to main content

My mum has more confidence than ever thanks to Dru yoga..Read her story








As promised I have started collecting inspiring yoga stories this year and my first meeting was with a lovely lady by the name of Trish Slack-Smith. Trish signed up for the Dru Teacher training course to learn about how yoga could reduce the aches and pains she was starting to experience in her body. 3 ½ years later Trish is running 4 wonderful yoga classes in Cronulla on top of her full time job and is feeling flexible, confident, healthy and pain free. This wonderful lady happens to be my mum and we participated in the training together in Sydney.

I have no hesitation in saying that Mum has reversed the aging process. There is no slippery slide into arthritis, reduced balance, memory loss, reduced mobility, inflexibility and injury. Mum is heading in the opposite direction, looking and feeling young, fit, self assured and motivated.

On a Monday morning around 30 students turn up to her Dru yoga classes over two time slots and more throughout the week. It seems that the word is spreading and the attitudes towards aging are being transformed.  There is so much that can be done to reinvigorate our lifestyle at any stage and Mums classes are an expression of this.  Who would have thought this quiet country girl would wind up coaching others toward a retirement that is full of fun, enthusiasm and laughter.

If I look a little closer at my childhood there were little clues that a coach was in the making. I have 2 brothers and our childhood was spent playing every sport you can imagine. Mum and Dad where always involved in sport themselves. Dad was a Rugby League coach for 7 years. Their first date was at Mums basketball grand final. The story goes that she showed off all game and achieved one goal after the next. Mum was sure he would never want to date her again as this was no quiet romantic dinner but she was wrong. Most of their 45-year relationship has been spent on the side of a sporting field with mum quietly offering words of encouragement followed by, ‘Get a goal for me.’ Sport was going to remain center stage their whole married life.

Today this gentle and kind lady is inspiring me, my daughters, her whole family and many friends on top of the students who are experiencing Dru Yoga first hand. She has embraced her ability to inspire others and it makes me so happy to meet with Mum and chat on the front verandah about what Dru Yoga means to her. More than anything she has a level of self-confidence that is stable, strong and going places!

I admire Mums commitment to teaching and her clarity in sharing with others what she has found to be so beneficial for herself. It has been a natural progression from learning to teaching, combined with an attitude of abundance, mindfulness, faith and gratitude. Mum had no doubt that her classes would fill to the brim!

When I tell you about the story of my mother I am also sharing the story of what is possible with Yoga. It is the most delightful way to heal the body, thought patterns, emotions and energy levels. I hope that through the people I meet this year we can somehow express how truly incredible yoga and meditation can be. 


A note from Trish – You are all welcome–come join in, meet some new friends & improve your health. Email Narelle for more information at nelhunter69@gmail.com




    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt