Skip to main content

Putting what matters most, first.

It is a soft dewy morning and I head out on the farm for a walk with the dogs. The lush green grass feels like carpet and everything looks so much prettier after the rain. There are white cockatoos, galahs, magpies and parrots throughout the trees. The horses are feeding with the warm sun on their backs. It is a delightful morning to be out taking photos but it is hardly a fitness challenge when I stop so often to take another shot.










Yesterday I was walking from Bondi to Bronte in Sydney. The sun rose over the sea as the city steadily came to life. I love going to the parts of the city where nature dominates and takes your breath away. I felt a real connection to the other people who were also enjoying the beach. Some people on bikes, others with surfboards under their arms; dear old locals sitting back after an early swim, as much a part of the scene as the sand, the water, the rocks and the salt. And I was there too, walking with my lovely friend, exchanging stories, viewpoints, laughter and questions. It was refreshing.

Today I walk on my own and yet I am not alone. The birds swoop overhead to see what I am doing, the horses come near and the dogs follow along with great enthusiasm and curiosity.  The sun literally spills through the gum trees, lighting up the wet leaves and mossy rocks. It feels good to be outside and moving my body, breathing in and smelling the gum trees, the wattle and the soil.

Once back in the house I throw on some washing, put the heater on in the office, boil the kettle and check my emails. I have enrolled in an online course with the Sydney Writers Centre called ‘Writing Picture Books’. In between bookwork and housework I will enjoy learning and writing, putting together a children’s book idea that has been in the back ground for too long.    

Howard is checking the sheep, cleaning grain and fertilizing some of the crop today. He will call in for morning tea before rushing out again. Brooke and I are meeting some friends for afternoon tea so I will make sure my timing is spot on, driving the 40kms to town and arriving at school by 3.15.
 I really want to enjoy this time left with only one of our four children still living at home.

The dynamics of the family, the farm, our social life and our personal routines are ever changing. As a mum my intention is to find ways to stay connected with my children, my husband and our friends but this doesn’t have to be hard work. Just like my connections with nature and the people who love it as much as I do, you just have to put what matters most, first.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt