Skip to main content

What thoughts, words and actions are we sowing again this year?


It’s a cool at this time of the day but not as freezing as I am expecting. I begin my leg of the Relay for Life at 5.30am in the morning. The stillness is potent. There is no fog or sunrise just yet, just the walkers going around and around the oval in Young, peacefully, lovingly. Murmurs barely audible coming from tents, marquees and the all night coffee van. The gym has had a 24-hour challenge on their exercise bikes; even their work has a quiet rhythm. I am so pleased to be a part of this 2014 relay with our ‘Rainbow Warriors’ team, some ladies I started relaxation classes with for the Cancer Council a couple of years ago. They are here with their families and friend's under a colorful display of rainbows, streamers, raffle prizes and lucky dips. We are having fun.

Prior to this weekend my family and I joined in the Polocrosse carnival at Burradoo. I love this area and was very to pick two of our girls up from Sydney and support them in playing over the weekend. I could sneak off to the shops in between games and enjoy the green views of the valleys and the old homesteads with their full gardens of color and design. I don’t think I am a selfish person; I just like to find ways to enjoy myself too. It’s like finding a win: win for the whole family. (I hope the girls do this when they are mums too - look after yourself as well as you do the people around you)


With my yoga books in the boot I head towards Sydney next, for parent teacher interviews and the school holiday pick-up. The girls are invited on sleepovers in the city so I have a free night to myself and once again the adventurer in me goes exploring. I head to Kiama this time, 1 ½ hrs out of Sydney. The childhood memories of wonderful holidays here are still in the sand, the parks, the ice-cream shops and in the waves. I sat on surf beach where I swam all day long with my brothers and our friends more than 25 years ago, half expecting them to run out from the water dripping with salty water and laughter. I make plans to return with the family as soon as possible.

My next stop is the largest Buddhist temple in the southern hemisphere, Nan Tien Temple 10 minutes south of Wollongong. Not really knowing what to expect I book into the meditation class and make my way to the information desk. A lady helps me with directions and then says, ‘Follow your heart..Its that way!’ and disappears into the garden laughing playfully. The building is grand and smells of incense. If you can ignore the tourists, one of whom is myself of course, there is a real sense of compassion, good intention, wisdom and stillness here. It’s so lovely.

I line up as directed and we begin a 'mindful' walk around the path of gratitude. It is suggested that we relax our bodies and count our steps, ‘One, two, one two’ Oh look at the view! No, back to counting, ‘One, two, one, two.’ We walk to the meditation room and sit quietly, eyes closed. It’s so lovely. A bell rings and another lady enters the room smiling, then sits and talks about how to be a good person.  A leather bound book sits on her lap, she is relaxed in her lovely upright position. I leave the temple as the rain starts falling heavily and feel refreshed, happy, excited about my yoga practice, excited about being a good person, a person of compassion.    

The farm is busy and on our return it will be all hands on deck as sowing begins. Howard will appreciate the extra support. The girls will be able to check the sheep on their horses and with shearing also just around the corner there will be no shortage of jobs to do. The farm is lush and green after some beautiful rainfall. It is the time of the year we sow what we want to reap at harvest time and I ask myself, ‘What thoughts, words and actions are you sowing today, to manifest a future that will be a happy one?’ 

  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt