Skip to main content

Going deep to the heart of the matter #heart








My brother and his two little children are visiting again. We find a turtle in the pool as soon as they arrive. The rescue takes the trip to the country off to an exciting start. Once the old turtle is relocated to a nearby creek they check how much the chickens have grown, collect the eggs, meet the new kitten, have a jump on the trampoline and go for a drive to see the new lambs.

Howard is selling sheep, cleaning oats, spraying a crop, registering his truck and doing some maintenance on the machinery in preparation for harvest. He tries to have time with my brother but it’s hard to stop. Another load of straw is prepared for delivery and the crops need checking. Howard spent Sunday doing a course with the Rural Fire Service so he knows how to use the new fire equipment. We meet him in town and have afternoon tea with friends. I am very relaxed and our girls are having a great time playing with their little cousins.

Later my brother and I sit on the front verandah and Chris comments about how it must be challenging to live in the middle of your work environment. There are so many jobs to do and many things that must never really feel finished. It is good to hear a man’s perspective on working and how it must be for Howard.
That juggle between work, family and personal goals is common for everyone but farming families have to show particular understanding to their farmer dad or husband or in some cases wife just because of the pure logistics of the workload.

In a quiet moment I have alone I read an article by Monica Gauci about the inner heart and it is a lovely reminder that love in its purest form is unconditional, uninfluenced by so called good or bad days, and this is ‘our divine nature,’ as Monica explains. The idea that within me is a seed of pure love in its original and most powerful form excites me.  Monicas article has me feeling like I have something very beautiful deep within my heart, I imagine it to be a tiny but vibrant light, and although it is tiny it is a reservoir of hope, acceptance, potential, enthusiasm and joy. I can tap into this anytime and my heart will pump these qualities with love around my body and into my life. 

We can all look at what is hard or what is great about our lives. In our case it is a privilege to be able to live with all the gorgeous nature and space on the farm. Watching my little niece and nephew play happily non- stop for 5 days with no technology in sight, is a big reminder of this. I could also complain about farming and how its boundaries between work and personal time get blurred. But my inner heart doesn’t care for the good and the bad elements. The inner essence within us is alive, awake, smiling and bursting with gratitude. When the heart is open and that deep inner essence is active we ask
’What is great about today? How can I make it great?’

 I have two brothers who I love very much and I feel they live in this way with great attitudes. They are two of the most motivating people I know. Seeing them with their children is like getting to know them all over again. They are both great dads and speak so kindly to their children, as does Howard. Under the tough exterior these men have good hearts and the children they raise are very fortunate indeed.

I look forward to continuing to find ways to be involved in the farm because this will give Howard the space to enjoy all the wonderful parts of his life, especially these gorgeous girls we have been blessed with and all our family and friends who are so good to be around. Together we can create the balance we need to manage well and to love with all our hearts.   




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt