Skip to main content

Keeping your cool is a great quality...especially during harvest!


10pm Nov 18th 2013

I arrive home from my final yoga graduation weekend to find the same washing hanging on the line and a very empty house. It is dry, quiet and still. The distant rumble of machinery and constant booming of trucks along the long road is the sound of harvest. A big full moon rises from the horizon and lifts slowly into the sky. Howard calls and reminds me to lock up the chooks. I run out with the torch, regretting the decision to have bare feet when I see the centipede.

It’s a warm night. The house phone rings. Our neighbor Jo calls to let us know our new calves are out on the main road in the dark.  I call Howard with another job. He is close to home but not close to bed yet. After delivering a load of wheat to the Bribbaree silos he looks for the cows, this will keep him busy until well after 10pm.

This morning I was drinking a hot chocolate as the heavy rain fell across Sydney. The winter clothes where back out and the umbrellas where turning inside out in the wind exposing squinting faces and blustered hair styles. Tonight I am cross about centipedes and foxes, cows who have been in my garden and washing dried to a crisp. I feel like I have experienced winter and summer in one day. Sydney and the farm seem like worlds apart today, even though it was just a 5 hour drive back home from the wonderful graduation weekend.

I can hear Howard kicking his boots off. Brooke sleeps soundly in her bed. I have a good book to start called ‘The Restful Mind’ by Gyalwa Dokhampa and I take it to bed. Continued below...





I have all the tools I need to embrace harvest with a great attitude and choice. After all I am a fully qualified yoga teacher now! Calm as a cucumber..I just need a good sleep first.

9am Nov 19th 2013
I have packed Howards lunch for the day, together with the triple chocolate fudge fresh out of the oven. After a great sleep I am ready for a trip to town, restocking the cupboards and meeting a few private yoga clients. On return, the house will need lots of attention and tomorrow will be a big bookwork day.

The primary school just called and our youngest daughter has hurt her mouth on the bus trip to town.  I will head in earlier and pick her up. Howard calls and I need to sign some paperwork. He is heading over now with Ben...There is never a dull moment at this time of the year and you have to be ready to think on your feet, be flexible, adaptable and find quick solutions. My friend lives down the road and had a brown snake under the clothesline with her last week. She ran inside and gave me a call. Nothing that a cool drink on your mate’s front verandah couldn’t fix.

We are all challenged at times and keeping your cool is a great quality. It helps to keep everything in perspective. Imagine what the families in the Philippines are going through after the typhoon on November 8th. A storm may threaten to damage our crops here in Australia but it will not usually threaten our health and safety.

I wrap up Howards warm fudge and pour hot water into his flask. The fresh ham sandwiches are packed and I think about what we could have for dinner tonight. How wonderful to be able to work, to be giving something a try and to be so directly in contact with the environment. Things may not work out exactly as we hoped at all times but in the big scheme of things, life couldn’t be better!!

*More on the Dru graduation and my yoga practice next blog.. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt