Skip to main content

A Beautiful Bush Christmas #bushchristmas








6am
A shiny new bike stands at the window, a white helmet hanging from its bars. Towels line the pool fence, a newspaper lies out on a chair and the tarp is still across the lawn from the slip and slide game yesterday. We have enjoyed a week of visitors, so much good food, lovely gift giving, afternoon naps and games of cricket. 

Having little voices in our home again is such a treat as we play with flying fairies, a ball that bounces across the water, a remote helicopter that has wheels and new dolls. My girls smell of new perfume and arrive at breakfast in new summer dresses. We make another cup of tea , as preparation for a birthday party is now underway.

I really felt the spirit of Christmas this year and played Christmas music in the car and the home as we decorated the tree, set up fresh flowers, filled sweet jars and wrote long grocery lists. We have cooked BBQs, salmon dishes, roast meat and vegetables, salads and desserts. Just when you think you have had enough its time for another gathering around the dining table.

Last night we all reflected on what our highlight is this Christmas. There was mention of horse riding, Santa bells ringing Christmas Eve, all the good food and taking Nan and Pop for a ride on the bike around the hay shed on Christmas day. For me one of the highlights was receiving a hand made book filled with lovely quotes, artwork and inspiration. It was a gift made from the heart and it didn’t cost a cent.

We have celebrated a true bush Christmas as both sides of the family came together. The girls put a lot of thought and preparation into making it special for everyone. As the visitors start to repack their car and leave, I feel like the spirit of Christmas will stay with me into the New Year. It’s a good feeling to know you have opened your home and helped create laughter, love and relaxation in your home. This is a Christmas I will remember. It was busy but all worth it.

(A special thankyou to all my helpers. For those who picked up a tea towel, fixed the pool pump, hunted the cows out of my garden, fed the dogs, patted little children to sleep, took out the rubbish, offered the cool room, swept the floor, put the bike together, joined in the cricket, picked up the Christmas wrap and carried chairs from one verandah to the next. A special thankyou to my husband who did every little job I asked him to, with barely a mumble under his breath and to our lovely daughters who cooked and cleaned, filled the house with music and fun stories. And a final thankyou to my friend Ang who turned up yesterday with a cold bottle of champagne just when I thought Christmas was over. It looks like the spirit of Christmas really is here to stay!)  

Merry Christmas to you, thankyou for visiting my blog. I hope you have some special memories you can cherish this Christmas too. )

I think I'll head back to bed now.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt