Skip to main content

Over 700 horse riders in Coonabarabran! What a sight to see!!






Almost 2 inches of rain arrived at home over the weekend and we are thrilled. Most of the crop is planted so this is ideal. I was in Coonabarabran when the soft rain was falling at home. One of our daughters was participating in a four day equestrian event. It was a 5 ½ hr trip for us but a nice drive through Forbes, Parkes and Dubbo. This was worth the effort, an incredible opportunity to be a part of something amazing.

This event is the largest secondary school equestrian event in Australia. The sight of all those horses, floats, children, adults, yards, stables and campfires was fascinating. Around 50 schools and over 700 students could choose from a number of events, including cross country riding, show jumping, polocrosse and sporting to name a few.

The rain eventually arrived in Coonabarabran too but no one was really phased as raincoats, umbrellas, tarpaulins and gumboots appeared. The mud underfoot just added to the atmosphere. Like the Albury Polocrosse event earlier in the year I was learning a lot about camping and how it can be so much fun, if your organized.

Tea from the billy tastes fabulous as we wrapped our cold hands around the mugs and put our backs to the fire. After egg and bacon rolls, the horses were saddled and everyone ran off to their first event. I helped as much as I could, carrying feed buckets and ensuring the horses had water and their stables were clean. Parents, grandparents, teachers, judges and helpers watched what they could in between duties. We had great conversations and enjoyed the opportunity to meet people from all over Australia. 

Howard’s dad was a great help. He carted the horses up for us and he had all the things we needed. A camp oven, gas stove, tables, tarps, swags, spare horse gear and an attitude that set the example. He knew camping with horses nearby could be great fun. He was great company and was really in his element in this environment. It will be nice for Howard to have some time with his Dad over the next couple of days. Howard arrives as I head home, as one of the girls needs to do a French exam at the local high school and one of my buddies from the yoga class is having a special birthday! It’s a juggle but we are managing really well.  

During the drive home along the Newell Highway I decided to stop occasionally and photograph the stunning countryside.  The rain clouds were lifting and the wet gum trees were dripping in the sun. I take my time and pull up to see the 64 metre Parkes radio satellite. The rain was falling across the mountains in the background and the freshly worked soil in each paddock made my drive along the little dirt lane delightful. It was easy to forget I was tired and ready for home.

These horse events are a great opportunity to get outdoors and just take it all in, from the stars to the misty mornings but this time it was the people that stood out for me. Great attitudes, great team work, great coordination and yet again a large group of talented young people. If only you could bottle what these people have! Inspiration, adaptability, passion!!    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt