Skip to main content

Pulling together in our farming business seems to be working!!








This week I have had my farmer’s wife hat back on as Howard needed a hand to clean the oats before delivery Friday. It is an itchy job and the stormy heat didn’t help, but I didn’t complain. Howard could go ahead and feed the sheep, fix the wheel on the bin, load hay and pick up the chaff. Prior to being called to farming duty I was heading to Sydney to a ‘Blog to Book’ workshop with Kerri Sackville at the Sydney Writers Centre. You know what I would have preferred to be doing but in a strange way it felt like the content of the book was in motion. Me out there in the itchy dust instead of being in a lovely room full of writers. I guess that is what you call, 'walking the talk'. I was where I needed to be. 

I could see Howard was feeling under pressure with so much to do, so I thought it would be a good week to get out of the office and off the yoga mat and get my hands dirty. You are so exposed to the elements out there and as the storm was building I was having trouble keeping my eye on the job. The clouds, the thunder rumbling, the galahs swinging upside down from the telephone wire, the dogs barking. Its hard not to take photos the whole time. 

The decision to get more involved in the farm over the past couple of years certainly wasn't the glamorous option and for someone who loves to be with my friends, it is lonely on the farm at times. But working together with Howard means we are pulling together, bringing all of our skills to the table and enhancing what we are trying to achieve. And its working, the business is growing and things are starting to flow well for us. My role out here is not to be the boss. Howard is the most experienced in agriculture so he has to make most of the important decisions. My role is to ask; How can I help today? What can I do to get things organised or take the pressure off? 

In a round about way it is a form of yoga because we learn that the path to bliss is with selfless action. It is a lovely thing.... 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt