Skip to main content

Who is looking after you? #mindfulliving

Who is looking after you?

Does anyone notice if you skip your breakfast, miss drinking water today or if you can’t find time to exercise? Are you flat out caring for everyone around you and cant remember the last time you dusted off your personal goals and felt a clear sense of direction? Well guess what, the best person to look out for you..is you!

Have you noticed that the people out there achieving don’t let excuses get in their way, they find a way to make things happen and can work independently. They seem to have more time and more support. Its all right for them hey…they are not in our position?

Well March is almost over now and if we are not careful each month will slip into the next and we will be saying the year is flying by.  There is no better day than today to start working on a personal goal, even if it has to squeeze into the tiny cracks in your routine.

Some days I have to break my yoga practice into bite size pieces or its not going to happen. I can manage 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there but no one is coming up to me and saying, ‘Let me give you a hand so that your dreams can come true.’ I have to create the lifestyle I want and focus some light on the areas that I love.

 It all starts with self-care and busy people are not always great in this area. ‘We’ have to notice if we miss breakfast and do something about it. ‘We’ need to nourish our bodies with good food and fresh water, get out there and move our bodies, surround ourselves with motivating people, books, activities etc. and value ourselves enough to take some time out to do what we love.

I made the decision to support our farming business a while ago now and it really is the best place for me to offer my skills, together with caring for our four daughters. Even though they are away at Uni and boarding school and only one of our girl’s lives at home. They need Howard and I to support them with their learning, sport and personal goals and I love being there for them. Between the busy farm and the travelling, it would be easy to forget my fitness and my own dreams.

Every day I find the time to get a little fitter, a little healthier, to shift an old habit, to challenge myself and guess what I have noticed? Most of the time this determination to be healthy, optimistic and moving forward, by caring for myself as well as I care for those around me, has created a great inner strength and calm. I give from a full place these days and have lots of energy to fit so much in each week and enjoy it.

You can’t run on empty and you can’t give up on your dreams, its just not healthy.

Paint if you can paint, take photos, go out for coffee, dance, run, sing, rest, garden, laugh, write, draw, cook, create…and if it all sounds indulgent, so what…Who said life was supposed to be all work and no play? Find the balance and with that comes emotional stability, contentment and wisdom. Fill your own tank my friend because sometimes the best thing you can do for those around you is smile and be truly happy. Don't miss a thing!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt