Skip to main content

10 things I want my daughters to know #hayhouseworkshopahugesuccess

 Pam Grout and I at the HayHouse Writers Workshop #pamgrout #hayhousewritersworkshop










I have just spent a whole weekend at the inspiring Hay House Writers Workshop in Sydney. I met some of the most successful authors in the world, Pam Grout, Bronnie Ware, Martina Sheehan, Susan Pearse and the wonderful Jess Ainscough, with her hugely popular book, Make Peace with your Plate. It really was so inspiring, not only to hear all the inside tips on how to get our ideas published but to be surrounded by so many other people who love to write. Everyone I spoke with has an incredible story to tell and Hay House encouraged us all to express our unique voice.

So here is a taster for you, of my potential new book.

Things I want my daughters to know.

1/ Don’t miss the detail – When you live mindfully, everyday has a new surprise and you live in wonder of what a truly incredible journey we are all on. (I mean it, STOP and have a good look around…)

2/Notice the zone – Follow the signs that are all around us and discover where there is a lovely flow in your life.

3/Know Yourself – Know what agrees with your bodies health, know what you love to do and do what you are interested in as much as you can. Know how to get yourself to sleep, to motivate yourself and how to set and achieve the goals that make you shine. Get to know how to be a loving person and accept nothing less than high quality, respectful, glorious love from others.

4/ Be thick skinned and warm-hearted. Rise above any negativity and jealousy, bullying on any level or criticism. Get on with being the best version of you. And if you don’t know what that is yet, visualize your highest potential and move towards that.

5/Set a daily intention – this simple act of deciding at the start of the day how you want to be, is very powerful. Set a theme for the day such as, ‘Today I will be thoughtful or funny or peaceful or mindful, grateful, encouraging, focused or full of energy.” We have more power over the flow of our day than we realize.

My extra tips for the day…

Be emotionally strong - Know your emotions and watch your responses to the uncomfortable feelings e.g. choosing something different from everyone else can feel uncomfortable.  Saying “no” when everyone else is saying, “yes” to something you don’t really want to do, takes courage. The way I look at it – they have to hear a ‘No’ from you at some point, otherwise you become a slave to their agenda by continually giving them a ‘yes’ just so you can feel a part of the crowd.
In the long run people respect those strong enough to be unique individuals.

 Last tip for now…be prepared to do what it takes
It is common to hear, ‘Do what you love’, I say it all the time. The reality is that every job has good parts and not so good parts. If the rubbish doesn’t get taken out, the environment stinks! Take the good with the bad. (Note: This doesn’t apply to relationships. There should never be a bad side, just good, great and greater ways to love. Don’t settle for someone whose values and standards are ordinary. Find someone who is shining like you!!)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt