Skip to main content

It feels so good 'To Be True' #poetspicnic











We found our spot on the green lawn at Blackburn Gardens and set up a lovely picnic hamper on our blanket. Pip and I were the foot of the Woollahra Library with the polite, relaxed crowd and settled in for an evening of poetry. The theme was Birds, Bees and Trees for the 26th annual Poets Picnic. There could not have been a more perfect setting anywhere in the world, than by the water at Double Bay, that delightful summer evening.

The stage was set with the sparkling Sydney Harbour as a backdrop and each poet stood before us all and read out load. The Manly Ferries and late sailing boats where bobbing by in the background. Birds called on cue, from the dear old trees above as silence fell across the quiet crowd.

From the very first poem I knew Pip and I were in for something special. I do love the element of surprise, when an event far outweighs your expectations. I didn’t expect to be moved by the poetry the way I was. I didn’t expect the poems to be read with such passion and conviction. For the topics to be so much in align with my own love of nature and yet teaching me to look even deeper, to care, to learn, to want to contribute to the environment in a positive way.

Fiona Wright started by reading ‘Frangipani’ Luke Fischer, ‘Band of Cockatoos’ Margaret Bradstock ‘Walking by the Wetlands’ and then Nikki Gemmell stood on the stage. Nikki announced, ‘I do not write poetry,’ but shared the poems that move her and inspire her novel writing. And in sharing what moved Nikki, we were also moved. ‘Bedecked’ by Victoria Redel and ‘Essay’ by Hayden Carruth were both fabulous poems. Layer upon layer of poems, spoken, swirling over our heads and into our hearts…. and then fading out to sea.  

‘Oh… now I want to be a poet,’ I announce to Pip, and being the friend that she is, this came as no surprise. It’s so lovely to have a friend like that.

Another great treat that night was listening to the Yr 11 & 12 students read. Wow they were truly incredible, reading out their own poetry. Moving us, making us laugh, challenging our fixed way of thinking as we admired their confidence and bright youthful enthusiasm.


I sat back and took a deep breath as the soft rain started to fall. Miles Merrill had performed his wonderful poetry with additional sounds, Theodore Ell and then Les Murray stood under the now golden stage.  I almost had to pinch myself, as it was such a magical evening. Les recited a poem and mentions rain, and then… yes..the soft rain fell.

 It feels so so good to reach a stage in life when I value myself enough to seek out what makes my heart sing. Part of me knew how much I was going to enjoy this special evening but part of me is still surprised by just how good it feels to be true. When you are in the right place at the right time, you can really feel it. This event has given a new spark to my writing aspirations. I am going to keep at it and believe I can make a make a career from my love of the written word..with a dash of yoga and meditation mixed in.                                                              Next step....a Web site....stay tuned xx   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt