Skip to main content

How to have a 'wide awake' day.

"A few years ago, when teaching meditation privately, a young mother made an interesting comment to me. While in meditation she could hear a bird singing just outside the window. “I loved how the bird was coming and going. It seemed so close,” she said. I explained the bird was in fact there, singing the whole time.  She was coming in and out of mindfulness. It made us wonder what we are missing by being drawn out of the present moment over and over again. What do we not hear, see, taste, smell and touch? There is such a richness to the everyday, if we can remain curious about the details. I don’t know about you but I don’t want to miss a thing! Mindfulness can be a way of life that grounds the body in steadiness, a mind-set in wonder. We can ‘achieve’ our goals without the inner anxiety that comes with rushing, using mindfulness as a coping tool." Instagram by Narelle Hunter (narelle.hunter)  

 

SO HOW DO WE LIVE MINDFULLY EACH DAY?

 

Firstly, I would suggest you aim for a 10% increase in awareness to start with. We are not going to turn into ‘masters of the present moment’ overnight. A simple intention to become more awake to the details, can offer many benefits. Let’s look at some mindful options. 

 

1.     Witness the sky – what is it doing today?

2.     Notice colours – Is there a dominant colour in the landscape or room? Can you find a colour that is subtle and less noticeable?

3.     Take a deep breath and become aware of the aroma and temperature of the air.

4.     Discover sounds way off in the distance and draw your attention to sounds that are near. 

5.     Pick up a leaf and crush it in your hand, noticing texture, aroma and shape.

6.     Take a bite of a piece of fruit – slow down and notice the fullness of flavour. 

7.     Look for the light in the day. Is it touching the leaves, the tips of the grass, your skin? 

8.     Feel the temperature of the day, without labelling it as good or bad.

9.     Cover your ears and hum. Can you feel a vibration in the head area? Imagine it soothing your whole nervous system. 

10.   Write some of the new things you discovered in a notepad. 

 

Adding just a little mindfulness to your day can connect you to an inner strength and calm that can serve you well in a range of situations.  

 

HOW CAN BEING PRESENT ASSIST WITH SLEEP?

 

This is a big topic but I want to share that the only way I can get back to sleep, if I wake in the night is by coming into the present. I notice my body, warm and relaxed or my breath. I witness thoughts coming and going but try not to engage with them, drawing my attention gently back to the body and breath. 

 

Awareness is key. I recently studied the beautiful Dru Ayurveda Health Coaching Diploma. The information offered has enhanced my ability to make daily choices that support my current and future health. Mindful, intuitive choices are steps forward, while unconscious unhealthy habits are steps back. Finding the flow begins in the present moment. As I prioritise my self-care and the mindful way I choose to approach each day, old habits slowly shift and I feel really pleased with the life that is manifesting. 

 

*If you want to know more about Dru Ayurveda, a great place to give it a try is on the Ayurveda Cooking Immersion Day taught by Mouli MacKenzie and Greg Carlin, coming up Sunday 6thAugust (live online.)  

As my friend, you can access the 50% off deal. 


50% discount AYURVEDA COOKING IMMERSION DAY  

 

IN SUMMARY:

Having a 'wide awake day' starts with a pause. Either sit in meditation or out into the garden and set your intention to notice more detail. Choose something specific from the list above to make the goal simple and achievable. Mindful living is something you can build on over time. 


Mindfulness can range from a 5 minute pause to taking a walk with intention. It can be as simple as putting social media away during meals and limiting negative conversations as you taste the food. Basically it is the act of taking in this moment, imperfections and all. It is leaning towards peace and contentment, thanks to all there is to be in wonder of and despite all there is to distract us from the steadiness we are capable of.  


Lately I have been asking that all barriers be removed. It is a non specific goal that seems to be working wonders, as the present moment comes to my attention with less and less effort on my part. Perhaps the present moment isn't something we are supposed to be aware of but something we are to become??  

 Following a meditation or mindfulness practise, 

take a few minutes to note what you enjoyed about the experience and what you found challenging. If you have any further questions you will find me on Instagram at narelle.hunter Feel free to DM me.   




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt