Skip to main content

How to reignite a daily mindful living practice.

I noticed something about my daily mindfulness practice that really works for me and I would love to share this with you. Mindfulness has consistently pointed me in the direction of my most purposeful and peaceful life. There is something so magical about pausing and seeing the world in a whole new way.  Finding the pause is the tricky part. 

 

I recently gave an example of this on Instagram @narelle.hunter. I recorded what the landscape looked like when I was rushing, then I stopped for just one minute and took a short video of the sheep by a dam on sunset. Reflections of red and orange clouds where in the water as two ducks swam by. It was truly lovely and my whole body took a breath. 

 

I often say that I try to keep one foot in the present but what I noticed this morning, might be a more useful tip. There are very precise places in my garden and on the farm, that stop me in my tracks. For example, I have a little garden outside our kitchen window. There are two bird baths there and a red flowering bottle brush that dangles over the birds as they enjoy their morning drink. The water sparkles in light. I always stop and take a brief pause, before doing anything in the kitchen. I also glance at this part of the garden as I run to the car, before heading to town. This space has become a reminder to wake up and notice. 

 

There are other areas that have the same impact, like the almond tree in the front yard, when it blossoms. Yesterday I lay under it, just for a few minutes after my walk, listening to the bees and watching the yellow-throated honey eater sit amongst them. Just a week ago the first blossom appeared and in such a short time, this clever tree had attracted hundreds of bees and it is covered in pink blossoms. I was amazed. 

 

Mindful living rituals awaken the witnessing presence, drawing a grace into my awareness. Just a one minute pause is enough to get me out of my head and into my heart. Nature has so many examples of harmony, flow, health and unity. There is something about acknowledging this, that can recalibrate the body, heart and mind. 


If you are interested in reigniting your own mindful living practice, may I suggest you start by choosing a couple of places to regularly observe the detail.

 

Take the time to regularly turn up in the place you have chosen (like my spot in the garden with the bird bath or the almond tree) Witness the colours, aromas, textures, light, sounds, movement and stillness. All you need is curiosity. Forget expectations of being overcome with peace and joy, although it is lovely when this does land. Simply pause and observe, over and over again. It’s like building the strength of a muscle. In this case what we are building over time is an ability to be more fully awake to all today has to offer. 

 


Find me on Instagram @narelle.hunter

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt