Mindful Writing

The progression from teaching meditation classes to writing full time has evolved slowly. Back when our four daughters were little, I would wake on sunrise and tip toe through the quiet house to write by the wood fire. Capturing just how gorgeous the garden looked at my favourite time of the day. 

Throughout the years writing has consistently been a part of my weekly routine but often in the back ground. When I turned fifty this changed. I gave myself permission to take my love of writing more seriously. That's when I discovered an incredible writing retreat named 'Life at Springfield', in the Southern Highlands. This majestic place became my 'university of learning', offering intimate workshops with award winning authors such as Inga Simpson, Stephanie Bishop, Emily Bitto and Kate Forsyth. 

I would return to the farm after each retreat putting more and more time aside to write, joining an incredible group of woman called the 'Wild Writers.' During Covid lockdown we met weekly via zoom to share our work and offer feedback. We still meet as often as possible and enjoy each other's company immensely. I will be forever grateful for their friendship and encouragement, helping me work on my strengths, inspired by their talent, learning how to improve.  Karen Comer is now leading a mentoring group and her editing support is invaluable. 

Years ago a drover was travelling past the farm and I sat with him to ask about his life on the road. I asked about horse riding and how he became so good at it. He said, "You just have to sit in the saddle and do the hours." This is my approach to writing. The greatest challenge is working through all of the excuses and arriving at the desk. Overcoming thoughts of doubt and procrastination. 

These days I am writing a fiction novel and loving it. My intention is to share the intelligence I see in the rural community and how rural characters will always surprise us. My love of the landscape has also grown over the years, especially thanks to both nature writing and reading. 

For those following my blog - thank you. I have decided to start sharing my journal entries more regularly. This writing is where I am most vulnerable but writing often rings true here. Inspired by attending online sessions by the incredible poet, David Whyte, I have started short essays that I will begin sharing here soon. 

*For those interested in what is happening on the farm, I will also note the ongoing routines and what Howard is up to. (The photos attached are from my walk yesterday 23/5/24. The moon rising was incredible. I could have walked all night)

See you soon! 

PS. I AM NOW AVAILABLE FOR FREELANCE BUSINESS WRITING FOR MINDFUL MARKETING, SUPPORTING YOU IN EXPRESSING WHAT MATTERS MOST. 

Please email for more information at; narellehunterwriting@gmail.com






Comments