To those who secretly love the idea of becoming a poet.

I became a poet the moment a teacher at my new high school, refused me entry into the English Class I knew would inspire and challenge me. Instead, my writing went underground - like a compost. It became a private form of expression, tucked away where no-one would read my work. As it turns out, when you can write with no feedback, guidelines, critiquing, comparisons or grades, a poetic freedom appears. 

Words were flipped on their heads as I explored the weight we put on words and their definitions. I played with symbols, memory, rhythm, accidental insight and the places that moved me. The galahs in the shade of the gums, during a summer Christmas in Coonamble. Being lifted by the ocean on family holidays and feeling the nervousness of wondering if the tide would sweep me away. The memory of riding my bike to the outer perimeters of town, beyond where I was allowed to go - my first adventure. 

I processed my rural life with a language form that was free and unbounded. In doing so I embraced a unique voice that was taking shape. Writers often feel inferior, not good enough or not ready to write. Some find the first draft terrifying. Others simply do not start and would never dare call themself a writer or a poet. What I would like to say, from my wild composty perspective (yes I just made up a word) is - There is no time to waste. Please just get out a notebook and write something, anything! Begin today, even if it is messy and it feels all over the place. You will find your feet if you keep the pen moving forward. 

To the teachers out there with your red pens - Go easy on their precious words. These are the voices our shaky future needs. Be very careful with their enthusiasm. You don't want to be responsible for a lifetime of silence and empty journals that had the potential to save us. 

To those who don't like poetry - In my view poems are to be read out loud, slowly and mindfully. A lot of the time they are confusing and hard to follow. Try to experience a poem instead of intellectually understanding it. Poetry is closer to art, created by a writer who is testing the rules and leaning in to their own vulnerability, a lot of the time. Keep looking until you find a poet that speaks to your own inner buzzing aliveness. 

To those who secretly love the idea of becoming a poet - There is no way I can tell you how to be a poet but with absolutely no doubt in my mind,  I can say 'You can be a poet.' You can bring yourself into this moment, as you are right now. Then with few words, whisper to the page your way of experiencing this. Writing poetry is as much about self expression as it is, deep listening. It is really all about who you need to be in order to write this way. Less self conscious and more willing to lean in. Be bold, be true, be awake and playful.  Life is too short to live, or write any other way. 

Thanks for reading

Narelle Hunter 

DM me on instagram to share if this has resonated with you (narelle.hunter) 







Comments