Skip to main content

The sky is the limit for writers these days, it is very very exciting. #yourwritingpotential




The sun is warm once again as we take our coffee out onto the front verandah and eat breakfast on the steps. A patchwork of yellow canola fields line the countryside as far as the eye can see. Our gardens are coming back to life and the colour gives everyone a lift. We have enjoyed lots of rain and the crops look wonderful. Howard is busy checking the paddocks and the sheep, sending the last of the hay to the dairy farms along the coast and preparing the machinery for more hay cutting and harvest.

The girls are all at home for school holidays, which we absolutely love. Their friends call over for sleepovers or they meet for picnics in the Weddin Mountain. We enjoy big catch-ups over our favorite family meals and join Howard in the ute for some farm work now and then. He has two men working with him now in preparation for our busiest time of the year. I keep up the bookwork and pay all our end of month accounts.

The Bribbaree Show is on this weekend coming and it is a highlight for the locals who join in the many different events. A 25 degree day is predicted and the girls are riding in the show again this year so it is going to be a great day. I look forward to sharing some photos with you.

I feel very motivated about my writing goals following the HayHouse Writers workshop and squeeze in a chapter here and there when possible of my favorite book idea. I have always loved writing so much but always considered the daily writing ritual to be a hobby until the workshop. Leon Nacson, managing director of Hay House Australia, explained that there has never been a better time to be an author than now.

I hear in Leons' message that it is a matter of finding our voice and passionately expressing that which we want to be remembered for. I have kept up my daily time of silence and meditation but there is not much to write about in regards to this deep lovely stillness I enjoy each day. What is coming through though is the most important book I could write at the moment and it is a message I have for for cancer patients.

The book feels like it has purpose and importance behind it, far beyond my own goals and desires. It is exciting to see a book taking shape. For anyone out there who wants to get started on his or her own book, my advice is to write everyday and ask, who is my first book meant for? What important message can my voice express?

I often see that by the time students leave school they have had their writing analyzed so much that they don’t feel like a good writers. I used to secretly keep my favorites writing from the teachers eyes and enjoyed letting my stories and ideas spill onto the page however they wanted too. The truth is that if you want to write professionally, an editor will polish your work if you like, so you can focus on getting to the heart of the story creatively.

By the time I was ready to give professional writing a go, the Living Magazine was being published in Young. I walked in and asked if I could write a regular column and wound up being a feature writer and sub editor of the magazine. It was a huge time of learning for me but with the guidance of the Living Magazine team, I really loved recording the wonderful local stories.

The blogging process is also fabulous, although there must be some editors out there that cringe at my free flowing form of writing. It is in no way polished. As I begin the process of preparing my book for submission to a publisher I will have to call on some professional editing assistance but the most important aspect of putting a book together will be, believing I can do it.


We all have a story, a passion and a message…George Berkowski encourages us to turn it into an App in his book, ‘How to build a Billion Dollar App.’ The sky is the limit for writers these days, it is very very exciting.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bribbaree Show, One direction, Boarding School and Hay Making. What a week!!

#Champion Bloom of the Show!! One Direction Concert Breakfast at Bronte Beach   Mowing Hay    Yo u wouldn’t believe what I have been doing in the past week. The local Bribbaree Show was on during the final weekend of the school holidays so our 2 youngest girls entered a few events on their horses and Howard joined in the team penning. I walked around with our eldest daughter, passing some very well groomed dogs on our way to the equestrian area. The show ground was filling with families and local women were dropping off cakes and sandwich fillings at the canteen, while the children convinced their parents to let them go on some rides. Howard entered a big red rose for me, that had opened in our garden a few days earlier and I am pleased to ‘announce’ that we won ‘Best Bloom of the Show’. What fun!! We had tea, sandwiches and cake for lunch, Howard skipping the fatty food this year. By late afternoon we gathered with everyone for a cool drink befor

Can creativity be good for our health?

Hello, It has been a while between blogs but as my intention for 2023 is to write full time, I should manage a regular post once again. Writing has always been something I do early in the morning or in the tiny spaces in between all else, but this year I am putting creativity at the top of my priority list.  If you know me well, you would know I have always wanted to write a book. The sensible project would be to share what I have learnt over the past 12 years about health, yoga, breath work and mindfulness, to support the healing of trauma and rural challenges, but at the moment it is a farm based novel that is flowing well. Perhaps all of the above topics will turn up in the lives of my characters, we will see.  It is so liberating, giving myself permission to do what I love, here on the farm. Although on some level it also feels isolating to be here on my own each day at the desk. The opportunity to witness this landscape from this quiet space feels deeply healing and quite confront

Discovering Meditation in small stages - 3 Audio Recordings attached.

10.11.23    Discovering Meditation   If I can define meditation in the simplest way, I would say meditation is ‘ being in the space in between our thoughts .’    Meditation is no ‘easy’ task when we have over 70 000 thoughts a day.  This is why I stepped todays class through a 3-stage process, in preparation for a brief meditation experience. Below is an explanation of each of these stages I taught and why these techniques are great preparation for potent stillness.    Stage 1.   It is more challenging to meditate with lots of tension in the body, so the first step is to let go of the extra holding that we may not even be aware of. This is done by noticing the body and slightly moving each area, or tensing and releasing each body part. (Starting at the feet, legs, spine and then the belly as we breathe. Open and close the hands, stretch the arms, lift and drop the shoulders, carefully stretch the neck and face.)   Stage 2.   Secondly, we can begin to be more aware of our breathing patt